Q&A related to Foreign Students Entrance Admission


What is the process for entrance admission in your school?
After screening your documents, we will conduct an exam and an interview both in Japanese.
Is it possible to pay the tuition fee in installments?
You can. If you want to read more about it, you can check our Admission Requirements page.
Can I work while studying?
In our school, we have a system called “Dual System” in which our students can practice their skills in our partner hotels. In this system, our students are permitted to work in real hotels for less than 28 hours per week (Less than 8 hours per day during summer vacation, winter vacation, and holidays). YMCA is the only institution that uses this kind of system in the whole Tohoku Region.
Is there any support we can receive for doing the procedure for obtaining a Student Visa?
We have a staff that can help you prepare and write the documents. Please feel free to contact us.
How long is the Student Visa valid?
Visa validity can vary from 1 year to 2 years depending on the student’s situation.
What is the standard living cost in Sendai?
It depends on where you live or your lifestyle but it can be cheaper than the metropolitan area (like Tokyo and Kanagawa). In the case of our students (those who live by themselves), the average of monthly living expenses, including rent, is around ¥80,000 to ¥100,000.
How much percentage of attendance in my Japanese language school is needed in applying to your school?
We evaluate those who have at least 90%. Those who have a high rate of attendance have the chance to receive a scholarship.
Do I need to have a guarantor?
A guarantor is required to cover your school fees just in case you won’t be able to provide it. We do not accept names of your friends as your guarantor.
Can I enroll even if I am not a Christian?
Religion does not matter in our school. However, the educational policy of YMCA is based on Christian beliefs. There are events where Christian services are held.
Is there any support when I get sick?
ur students are required to have the National Health Insurance. On top of that, they can also take the Health Care System for students. This system offers a 24 hour service when you get sick. Feel free to use it in an emergency.